Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communication problems with MBENET/Intouch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adarshbhat

Programmer
Dec 9, 2002
IN
Hello friends

I have deployed a solution based on Intouch 6.0b at our customers place and am presently facing a few problems that are illustrated below
My configuration consists of 6 remote systems communicating with the MMI over Ethernet using Modbus as the protocol. I am using the MBENET driver provided along with Intouch on the MMI side. Each remote system has been added as a ‘topic’ in MBENET and appropriately configured. The nature of operations at my customers place does not or may not require all targets to be up and functioning at the same time. But the problem I am facing here is, whenever any one or more of the targets are down (or is switched off in between); the MBENET driver on Intouch tries infinitely to connect to those targets (since the topics are configured) and in doing so loses connection with the other targets too. Following this the MBENET driver randomly loses / reestablishes communication with all the targets thereby affecting the proper functioning of the entire system. What I am looking for here is some way of enabling/disabling of topics on the fly, based on the configuration of the system at the time of operation. I DO NOT want to remove, add or reconfigure the topics every time since this is a tedious and user unfriendly job. Is there any upgrade of the MBENET driver wherein loss of connection to one target does not affect the connection to the others.

Can anyone please help me out in the above matter

Adarsh

I would suggest that you leave all tragets up and running to insure the health of the network. We have the same issue with a TIWAY network. All targets must be up and on the network or else the network drops connections or generates network errors.

Are the targets dedicated MMIs or are they trying to use them for other jobs, as well? I suggest you make the MMI units dedicated to the MMI function. otherwise you will only be creating problems for yourself.

HTH A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,CST,CNST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

You may be able to use the InTouch Script function 'IOSetAccessName' to direct the faulted node to a dummy topic to avoid it causing errors to the other topics.

This is definately available in intouch 7, not sure if it was there in version 6

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back