Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communicating with Another Computer in Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

romh

Programmer
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hi. I don't know if using the API is the only way to accomplish this, but here it goes. I have a Windows 2000 Adv Server Network running IIS, ftp, email server etc.. The main point of the network is to share an Access / SQL database. I need to do the following:
I have a client computer in the warehouse. When the warehouse user finishes a task in one of the Access forms, I need to send a command to another client inside the office, letting him know that the warehouse has finished pulling the orders. Preferrably a command that pops up on top of any other window. How can I send this command? Is API programming the best way?

If not, please send me a tip

Thanks

Potentially you could do several different things. You could use a trigger on the SQL server to activate a dll to send an email/net send/or other type of message, then again you could do this from the access application. There is a comm control that you could use also to communicate between multiple machines but unless you can make a service you would have to rely on the user to start the recieving app.

Good Luck

Thanks alot. I think the net send might be a good alternative with a trigger in SQL server.
Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated

You could use a TCP Socket control and write a sever progam that receives a TCP message and a client program that sends a TCP message.
-Chris (Consultant / Software Engineer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back