Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communicate 2 different Subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I have a network of 2 floors.
First floor has 10 windows 2000 professional computer with ip address range 90.0.0.0 and subnet 255.0.0.0

Second floor has 5 windows 2000 professional computer with ip address range 192.168.0.1 adn subnet 255.255.255.0.

There is one windows 2000 pc on Second Floor who has 2 network card. One network card connects to First floor hub and second network card connects to Second floor hub.

First Floor Win2kPC(with 2 NIC) Second Floor
90.0.0.x 192.168.0.99 192.168.0.x
255.0.0.0. 90.0.0.200 255.255.255.0

Now i want the Computers on First floor to communicate with Computers on Second Floor. Without using router ive heard that i can use route add command but how shall i do it? Is there anyother way i.e. using softwares.

the only way you can communicate between subnets is via a router...

thus the purpose of a router

Actually, you can use the ROUTE PRINT/ADD command structure to communicate across differing subnets. However, this is only added to the local machine and will, probably, need to be re-added periodically (even with the -P switch added).

Here's a decent page to describe some of the ROUTE ADD concepts (yes it's for Windows 98 but it's a good tutorial for beginners)

Here's how the command would probably look for you to add a line (From the 192 address)

ROUTE ADD -P 90.0.0.200 MASK 255.0.0.0 (Default Gateway IP) METRIC (Input your chosen metric here)

You can also add IF statements to pick and choose interfaces to add the route to.

Another option is to play with this a bit, open a DOS prompt and do a ROUTE /?

As a side note, I should have stated this earlier, doing the ROUTE ADD thing is not recommended. It adds a lot to administration and really isn't reliable for long term useage. You CAN look into doing a layer 2/3 switch to accomplish this goal as well.

I dont have default gateway, what shall i use?

First floor and Second floor both are peer to peer network.so the first floor pcs has 90.0.0.x with 255.0.0.0 and Second floor pcs has 192.168.0.x with 255.255.255.0.

The win2k pc which has 2 NIC on with 192.168.0.99 with 255.255.255.0 and other with 90.0.0.200 with 255.0.0.0.

Go to a DOS prompt. Type IPCONFIG /ALL That will give you the default gateway your systems are currently using.

so you have a total of 15 clients between the 2 different subnets and you want them all to communicate?
just set the IP addressing info for all clients to the second subnet. its smaller and will be alot less overhead on the network.
go to a PC that is a part of the subnet you want to use and type in IPCONFIG /ALL at a command prompt{start/run/then type CMD}.
write down the subnetmask and default gateway and DNS server address, then transfer to the PCs that you want to add to the subnet on each clients LOCAL AREA CONNECTION properties {right click MY NETWORK PLACES/ click PROPERTIES/ right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION select properties/ hightlight TCP/IP and then click the PROPERTIES button/ add in the info i had you right down}. you'll of course have to add IP addresses to the clients. all the PCs are now apart of the same subnet and should be able to communicate.
good luck
AJ

Your choices:

. Worst choice - make one Win2k machine a "router"
. Good choice - use one network subnet
. Recommended answer - Use DNS and WINS, but you have no Server
. Good choice - use LMHOSTS

Even with a router, or a machine configured as a router, or a layer 2 switch, you would still need to handle the issue of Windows networking name resolution. This would mean, in the absence of a server, the use of LMHOSTS or the use of a single subnet.

with "route add" i managed to do it.

ROUTE ADD will work for you. But I thought we had an entire subnet on the second floor to add fully, including Browsing?

*cough* if he had a default route he would have a router *cough*

If you have a router and 2 subnets on the same network Segment you can tell the router that both networks exist on the same segment. Then you wouldnt have any problem talking back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back