Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMMUNCIATIONS FAILURE - UNABLE TO DELIVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmandu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2001
US
Microsoft Exchange server 5.5
Windows NT Server

Recently I received an email from a 'jdoe@exch.abcd.org'

I tried to respond to him and this is what I received;

Your message did not reach some of all of the intended recipients.

Subject :XXXXXX
Sent: 05/21/2001 9:30AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'jdoe@exch.abcd.org' on 5.21/2001 9:30am
Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure

The MTS-ID of the original message is; c=USa=;p=ourname ?
ourname;I=exchangeservername-010521132946X-422
MSEXCH:IMS:Company name: Domain name :exchangeservername 3503 (000B099C) 503 please introduce yourself

I tried to lower the nyumber of connections through Administration Connections Internet mail service _ connections advanced - max no of connections setn (changed from 16 to 1. I then stopped and restarted M S Exchange server as directed .

I have also had this problem in the past with another email server that we could not respond to.

Thanks

Any ideas -Tom

The server you are communicating with is an smtp server. Exchange is an esmtp server. It begins a session by saying EHLO. An smtp server does not recognize this and asks for a HELO instead. Usually Exchange realizes this and changes to HELO, but some servers ask for the HELO in a way that Exchange doesn't understand. The workaround is to disable outbound esmtp with a registry entry. See Q194132.

Rereading your post, it seems to imply that the other server is also Exchange, in which case I'm at a loss!

Hello,

I am having a similar situation with my Exchange 5.5...

I get quite a few emails that get sent to us and never end up being received. The sender gets a could not be sent because: (Deferred: Connection timed out with...) error..

I can see the smtp connection come through the event viewer. I get an Event id of 2000 (A new TCP/IP connection has been received from host #.#.#.# Logfile 0000000.LOG

There are no further errors...

When a good connection comes in it gives me event id 2000 and then it changes into an even id of 2002 with a message of (A new message from ..... has been received and moved to temp folder.... with one local receipient....

Any ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back