Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common Dialog Control for Access 97? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafe82ABN

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
US
I am trying to allow a user to choose a pdf file from a specified directory and either open or print the file. Is there something similar (API...?) to VB's CommonDialog Control that will accomplish this?

Thank you,
Rafe

There might be but I haven't discovered it yet. If someone knows..... Alex Middleton

Looks like a good one. I have found other stuff on that particular web site that has been particularly helpful. One for the Favourites folder. Alex Middleton

Thanks Jes!

I was able to use the program written by Dev Ashish to call the standard windows dialog box.

The code is over my head, but I was able to decipher it enough to open in the desired directory and limit the available (viewed) files to those with a .pdf extension. I would also like to keep the user from browsing the directories as all the reports will be kept in one exclusive folder.

I also used some code I found at Planet PDF "How to Open a PDF and Jump to a Bookmark" ( ) to open the Acrobat Exchange window so the user can view and print the desired file.

The code is a little more complex than I desired, but it is working. If anyone knows of a simpler method in VBA (Access 97), I would appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks again,
Rafe

Can't you just add a reference to a Common Dialogue Control??

Stew

Update!

My previously posted success was short lived. The code works fine on my desktop with VB 6.0 and Adobe Acrobat 5.0 installed. The code to open the Adobe Exchange did not work on desktops with only Adobe Reader installed (no VB). Someone suggested I use a shell command, so I will investigate that next.

Rafe

You can add a reference to Common dialog Box....
but only if you have the professional edition of Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back