Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commiting a sequence of changes at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbahuse

Technical User
Sep 20, 2007
CA
I was under the impression that any commands entered at the configuration terminal prompt would not take effect until the CTRL-z sequence was entered, however my testing of this did not work as I expected.

How / Can a series of changes be made to the switch all at once? For example if I want to have a series of ip route statements go into effect at the same time?

Thanks,

vbahuse

Not really possible. You could edit the configuration file offline, copy it back to the switch startup-config and then do a 'copy start run' (assuming you are using an IOS switch).

Andy

Wouldn't that cause spanning-tree to set all ports not in portfast to start blocking while a loop check is performed?

vbahuse

Probably, however you didn't ask that. You wanted to know how to add multiple lines of configuration simultaneously, as there isn't a way of doing this I offered the only plausable way of doing it.
Can't you just cut-&-paste the configuration lines in? Surely this is quicker than typing them manually? What is it that is so critical that you need to do this?

Andy

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess your second one is most likely the route I will take (cuting and pasting) as it will introduce the least delay / dropped packets. The spanning-tree issue could take 30-60 seconds so that one is out!

The 3560 is sitting in a control room and is their only port to all the clients in the field. They record event history to 250ms and don't want that affected, however I understand your point and will let them know that they will just have to live with my best effort attempt.

Thanks again for the responses...

If spanning tree is the source of your concern, then first you need to deteremine if your changes will affect the spanning tree topology. If they do and this is a concern to you, enable some of the spanning tree features that minimize the spanning tree convergance issues (i.e. - rapid spanning tree or other 802.1d enhancements).

By the way, commands take effect as soon as the return key is hit...

Burt

Routing changes do not affect spanning tree. Routing is a layer three function; spanning tree is layer two. They are unaware of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back