Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commas and listing items? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
This alternate way just got introduced to me.

When you are listing 3 or more items what's the more common or appropriate way to use commas?

I'll provide an example:

"I am listing items one, two, and three."

or

"I am listing items one, two and three."

I always thought that if you do not separate two items with a comma, then you are actually grouping them together. If that were true then in the second example would I be grouping two and three?

Just curious about it. If you need more clarification I'll respond soon...coffee is still kicking in. [morning]

Snap out of it, Dave and Cajun! It's 09:32 where I am, so I don't know what you're bleating about!

Anyway, I knew about the "Matthew" and "and" and "and" and "Son" thing, but just couldn't drag my exhausted fingers to the quote key, it's only 09:33 here, you know - nearly the middle of the... Oh, sorry [blush] <grin>

Fowler's Mod. Eng. Usage said:
Commas are used to separate items in a list or sequence. Usage varies as to the inclusion of a comma before and in the last item; the style recommended here is to include it (the so-called 'Oxford comma'): We ordered tea, scones, and cake. Other practice is to include it only to avoid ambiguity: We ordered tea, bread and butter, and cake.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I only use the Oxford comma when it is needed to disambiguate a sentence.

My reasoning is thus:
Do you generally use a comma before "and"?

Would you type, "I went to the store with Bob[highlight],[/highlight] and Rich"? No, that looks silly.

Likewise, "I went to the store with Ted, Bob[highlight],[/highlight] and Rich" looks silly to me.

But that's just my take on the situation.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

My reasoning is thus:
Do you generally use a comma to separate list items of three or more items?

Would you type, "I went to the store with Ted Bob and Rich." No, that looks silly.

Separating all list items with (Oxford) commas is certainly more consistent. Long live Oxford !

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I just received a document back where the reviewer wanted all the Oxford commas removed. Grates on me... I know it's right, but I like things to be symmetrical and consistent, and it just looks wrong to me. Oh well, customer is always right (see sig)

[blue]Never listen to your customers. They were dumb enough to buy your product, so they have no credibility. - Dogbert[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back