Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command prompt problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdwilly

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
CA
I am trying to slipstream XP & SP1 and the instructions call for useing the command prompt. My trouble is I cant get to any drive other than C . Every time I try I get , Drive not ready ,or path not found. I know My knowledge of dos commands is not good . Any one have a clue what I might be doing wrong? Duker

Go to Start > Run > and type in: CMD
Or, Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim , I have no trouble getting the com prompt black box. it's when in the black command prompt box things don't work. Duker

What drive other than C: do you need? Can the drive be seen outside of the command prompt? What do you have to do in the command prompt?

Walt

Waltp9999, I need drive E. All the drives can be seen and accesd out side of the command prompt.I have to extract the downloaded SP1 files to XP ,also copeid on to drive E.Duker

To change to another drive in DOS, you would type: cd {driveletter}: {Enter}, so for E, you would type: cd e: {Enter}
Sorry I misunderstood the question totally, the first time.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

comtech has forgotten his DOS.

To get to another drive letter, you type the letter and a colon.

D:
E:
F:

To move between directories on a drive you use the CD (for Change Directory) command.

c:\>
c:\cd \windows
c:\windows>
cd c:\>

Fellows, I am doing all of the above , still no go.Duker

If you download this free program (which is the bible for tweaking), one of the available tweaks is to place a "Dos Prompt Here" option via right click on every drive or folder.
Then you know you are at the correct directory.

Xteq x-Setup 6.3 Final

I quit...isn't this the XP forum, not the DOS forum? %- %- %-

If you cannot change to a different drive in DOS, then the computer is not recognizing the drive.
What OS are you using to get to a DOS prompt?
Are the other drives NTFS, and you're trying to use a FAT32 DOS window?
Maybe if we knew a bit more about the system, and what instructions you're trying to follow to slipstream SP1, it might help.
I always use the same technique explained here:

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim, I AM USEING XP PRO OS, and the command prompt ( Start> Run > CMD )

SyStem , P3 866
Ram 512
Gigabyte Mb
Maxtor 20
Maxtor 30
All drives ntfs

I can get the C drive and nothing else.

Does XP recognize that there is more than one drive? (probably, but I had to ask)
At the command prompt, what DO you see?
Any path name?
Can you do a DIR and get a file listing?
Have you tried typing in "command" instead of CMD? (I know it's not supposed to make any difference, but...)
How about starting with a DOS startup diskette instead?
What exactly is it that you must do, and why the E: drive?

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech, XP sees all my drives A-floppy, C,D,E, F cdrom, G cd burner.
At the command prompt a black box with white text
C:\ documents >
I can get a directory from the c drive and all correct
CMD or command , no diff, reda thread above. Duker

By the was command and CMD are differt programs, allways use CMD in XP. If you check file size CMD is mutch biger.
command.com=50,620
CMD.EXE=375,808
Use "COMMAND" if in a 95,98, ME system
Use "CMD" if useing 2K or XP

wildwilly,

There is clearly something wrong with the Drive D on your system.

Go to the maxtor web site and download their diagnostic software. This runs in DOS, so it is particularly appropriate in your case.

What you need to find out is if there is a DOS device driver installed (MAXBLAST or whatever) from your first setup of the drive. I do not believe the XP conversion of the drive to NTFS would touch this driver if already installed, but without it running DOS cannot see the drive if it was still FAT32, and certainly would be confused by the later conversion to NTFS.

The Maxblast utility used to allow the removal of the bootloader driver, I do not know if it still has this feature. I suggest calling Maxtor tech support to ask them about how to handle this problem without losing any data. It may not be possible.

On a related issue, you do not need two drives to slipstream SP1 into XP in any case. It can be done on one drive without problems, albeit it is slightly slower. Furthermore, all of the instructions you may want to carry out on the SP1 image for slipstreaming can be done from the Start, Run box and does not require going to a DOS session at all. Below is my 1 drive, no DOS slipstream of SP1:

1. In Explorer, Make a new Folder for C:\, and two subfolders:

XP
. XP_ROOT
. XP_SP1

2. In Explorer, Copy all of the XP CD into folder XP_ROOT
3. In Explorer, Copy your Service Pack #1 into C:\XP
4. In Explorer, rename the Service Pack to XP_SP1.exe
5. Start, Run:
C:\XP\XP_SP1.EXE -U -X:C:\XP\XP_SP1
6. Start, Run:
C:\XP\XP_SP1\UPDATE\UPDATE.EXE -S:C:\XP\XP_ROOT
7. Your slipstream is done. The Folder C:\XP\XP_ROOT contains the completed slipstream image. You do not need or want to include XP_SP1 in your final burn. I assume you know how to make the disk bootable, as I will not give instructions as to this.

bcastner, nothing wrong with my drives.
I will try your method of slipstreaming, thanks to all for the input.Duker

Witha combination of bcastner's tip and Linney's Link I Have made it. Thanks very much to all who posted(Great Bunch!!!!) .Duker

I've been reading this post with interest as I would like to create a slipstreamed cd for xp sp1. However I need this for the purpose of creating the files need for creating RIS images (remote installation service), not just to reinstall XP on a workstation that needs a reinstallation. The only way I understand that you can do this is to follow the procedures mentioned in the Microsoft Knowledge base article 327536. This mentions having to update files on domain controllers other than the RIS Server. Although I tried to find this article on the web today I couldn't. However there has to be another way. Does any one know a better way to slipstream the sp1 files in order to create a working set of xp sp1 image files on a RIS Server?
Also - is there really a need to "upgrade" to service pack 1a?
Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back