Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command not found, newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestboy

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
US
I hope I have the correct forum here. I just installed Mandrake-linux and I'm trying to install my sound drivers but am having some difficulty. Please keep in mind that I'm totally new to Linux. The installation instructions go as follows:

1. Unpack the distribution:
tar xvzf aureal*.tar.gz
2. Change to the driver directory and become root: cd aureal*
su
3. Edit the Makefile to suit your system (SMP, CPU type, etc)
4. Type the following install commands: If you have an 8830-based (Vortex 2) card:
make install
--------------
I am having problems with the final command, which produces this output: bash: make: command not found

Do I need to install an update or something which includes this command? Other commands that I've seen mentioned produce the same output, such as 'pico' for one.

Can anybody help? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Hi,

This sounds like you don't have the program development tools installed. 'make' is in the 'make' rpm. You will also need to install at least one compiler, i.e. 'gcc', depending on the source language of whatever you're trying to compile. Do :

rpm -q make

rpm -qa | grep ^gc

to see if you have likely candidates installed. If not you'll have to install the relevant rpms for mandrake. Simplest way is to mount your cd and type:

rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/make

then press the 'tab' key and the rest of the line will magically be completed for you - something like :

rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/make-3.79.1-5mdk.i586.rpm

Then press enter to install.. Do the same for the gcc package.

I'm not that familiar with Mandrake but maybe the DrakConf tool may allow you to add/update whole chunks of the system at a time so you might like to try that first - you'll be looking to do something like 'install development environment'.

Pico, incidentally, is a full-screen text editor that comes with the 'pine' email package. As such, it is comparable with 'vi' and, in my personal view, much easier to use. Again, you'd need to install the package that contained the missing command - a bit of a catch22 if you don't know what the package is ! On redhat the rpm you need for pico is called 'pine' and I'd imagine that its similarly named on Mandrake because Mandrake is based on Redhat.

Hope this helps, Iain

Thanks! I fixed the 'make' problem and found pine, and installed it and now I have pico! Darn, you just knocked those problems right out of the park :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back