Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command line question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2447

MIS
Nov 5, 2002
US
This probably sounds stupid but I'm running Linux Redhat 9.0 and I want a command line and no X server running. How do I get out of the gui?

If you have configured RedHat to boot to a GUI, you're going to have to change the default runlevel.

Near the top of the file /etc/inittab, you will find a line which reads,

id:5:initdefault:

Change that line to read

id:3:initdefault:

Restart your system.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

if you're looking for a one-time quickie resolution, you can issue a "telinit 3". but sleipnir's way is better.

how do I get it back when I'm done installing drivers? Just edit it in reverse?

You can exit the gui with Ctrl-Alt-F8 this will give you a blank screen. Then Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a command line login (F1 through F6 are all separate virtual terminals - you can log in more than once). You can return to the X session at any time with Ctrl-Alt-F7.
This can be done at any time to switch between virtual terminals and to and from the X11 display without loosing the state of any of the virtual terminals or the X session.

If you are changing the X11 drivers or configuration you may need to restart your X server. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will kill the X server. If you are in runlevel 3 as sleipnir214 suggests this will return you to the command line (in this case it's healthier to just log out then issue startx again), but in runlevel five (graphical login) X will restart after this and give you the login screen.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will immediately kill your X session, without logging out, so it's a good idea to log out first so you don't lose any settings.

Hi,
make changes to the file /etc/inittab and change the value of
id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault and restart
Xserver.bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back