Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command line on startup Why? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyv

Programmer
Jul 13, 2001
CA
I have just installed linux redhat 7.2 on my PC. I have win 2000 on one drive and linux on anther. When I boot up the PC I can choose between win2000 or Linux. No problem there.

My problem?
When I boot to linux It boots to a command prompt rather than to the graphic interface.
When I installed linux I selected boot to a graphic inter face and select Gnome as the interface to boot to. So why will it not boot to a graphic logon screen rather than the command prompt logon?

Edit the /etc/inittab file and edit this line...

id:3:initdefault:

to this...

id:5:initdefault:

5 is runlevel 5 (GUI) and 3 is runlevel 3 (command prompt).

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

I actually had the same problem. I'm using Linux Mandrake 7.2, but my fix should still be the same. Log in as root, and when you get to the command line, type [tt]linuxconf[/tt].
The linuxconf (LINUX CONFiguration tool) screen will pop up, with character graphics and all. With NumLock OFF, use the down arrow key to si=omething that looks like it would be correct. There should be a option that says &quot;[ ]graphical login,&quot; and right under it, &quot;[x] text login&quot;, or something to that effect. Move the 'x' to graphical login, hit tab until the ok button has focus, hit enter, hit tab until the act/changes button has focus, say yes, wait, hit tab until the dismiss button has focus, hit enter, and reboot. <whew!>
That should take care of it.
If nothing starts up when you type in linuxconf, then this solution won't work. However, I do believe that Redhat has lc. --Dan Hirsch
CEO of DanSoft

If X doesn't have the right driver for your video card it will do this also. If the above solutions don't fix the problem then this may be it. The /var/log/XFree86.0.log file should let you know if there was an error. Look for (EE).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back