Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command Line Interface option missing from the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmoxman

Technical User
Apr 18, 2003
US
I have a 1900 switch with standard edition ver 9.0.
When I console in, I can only get to the User Menu. The [K] option is not there. I was there before.

I performed "password recovery" as per cisco instruction (more than once). The password gets cleared, but when I restart the switch I only get these choices:
[M} menu, IP config, [P] console password.

If I change the password, it brings me into the User Menus on the next restart.

How do I get back to the CLI?

Thanks

I don't think there is a CLI option with the standard image, you need the Enterprise image.

Andy

I AM SURE (!) I used the [K] option on the menu. And this is definitely a Standard Edition. This is the only switch I am using, and CLI was definitely an option before it disappeared. [sad]

gizmoxman -

I have a Cisco 1900 switch and here's my show verson output:

switch-1900#sho ver
Cisco Catalyst 1900/2820 Enterprise Edition Software
Version V8.00.03
Copyright (c) Cisco Systems, Inc. 1993-1998
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 3.03
switch-1900 uptime is 0day(s) 00hour(s) 16minute(s) 57second(s)
cisco Catalyst 1900 (486sxl) processor with 2048K/1024K bytes of memory
Hardware board revision is 1
Upgrade Status: No upgrade currently in progress.
Config File Status: No configuration upload/download is in progress
27 Fixed Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
Base Ethernet Address: 00-90-92-93-F7-00
switch-1900#

I'm running the Enterprise version. Don't know if the standard version has CLI. If I had to guess, it would be yes.

BOCA, thanks for this link. I can clearly see your point based on the Cisco info. However, I can assure you that I did see the [K] menu option. The only conclusion I can draw is that since the switch was never configured (i.e. I never saved any configuration) while I was working in the CLI. The first time [M] menu configuration was used and saved, the switch assumed the Standard Edition features. Maybe it is one of those "undocumented" Cisco "features" (i.e. bugs).

Thanks to all who responded to this post.

Excuse what might be a dumb question, I'm not that familiar with the 1900's. Is it possible it was using EE and when you did the PW recovery it cleared the bootfile information so it's now booting and running the SE version that's in ROM?
is there a way in the 1900 to do a dir of the flash to see if ther is another version of code there?

tharder,

That is the point. I can not get to the CLI to see any thing (that includes Flash info). The menu option simply lists IOS version 9.00.03 SE and Flash size=1024.

IOS for 1900 switch is a little different from the other switches int he Cisco line.

Thanks for your response.

If you desperately need the CLI, why don't you download the Enterprise image?

Andy

Since I started this post, I came across another 1900 switch Enterprise Edition ver 7.02 that has EXACTLY THE SAME problem. (no CLI, only Menu commands)
The best guess at this point it that it has something to do with password level 15 (executive mode) not being set or not being able to recover.
I have used the basic password recovery method. I.e. hold the mode button, restart switch, release button and hit enter. I think it only let's me recover user level password.

Any additional information from anyone who experienced this condition would be greatly appreciated.

"If you desperately need the CLI, why don't you download the Enterprise image? "

As a CNA student, i also need CLI for study, and due to an incorrect listing on eBay, i got a 1924 with std software.

I would love to simply change the software, only problem is that its sold for $600+ US. Hardley reasonable when you consider its completly obsolete, and you can buy another one from eBay for about $100.

If anyone knows a cheeper way to get the software, please let me know.

Regs Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back