Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command interpreter for Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My brother locked up his computer - Windows 95 - when he tried using a cd-rom. It won't go into the Windows start mode, and only opens a few options (mostly in dos mode). It says there is a registry configuration error, and that several files are missing or corrupted. No matter which of the few options I try, it all leads to "Type the name of the Command Interpreter. C>_ " (the underline is a blinking prompt), and adds e.g., [ C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM] This e.g. does not work. It won't load the Windows 95 backup disks. Anyone know what I need to type in for command interpreter? Thanks. Trying.....

This did not work. The disk drive is not working. The computer is waiting for me to give the proper response for command interpreter and won't do anything until then. Thanks anyway.

Will it boot up with a floppy? if so, type sys c: at the prompt, this will restore a good copy of c:\windows\command.com. Check out the BIOS settings too, to make sure boot to floppy is enabled. Good Luck :)

I am having the same problem as cleargo.
sys c: does not solve the problem :( :(

-Pager-

is there any other solutons to this problem. is there any way to load a different windows on the computer through a c.d. rom

none of these things work what exactly is a command interpreter, is there something i can enter to do this thanks

please help. I have the same problem with my HP laptop Omnibook Xe2 DD.
No matter which of the few options I try, it all leads to "Type the name of the Command Interpreter. C>_ " (the underline is a blinking prompt), and adds e.g., [ C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM] This e.g. does not work. It won't load the Windows 95 backup disks. Anyone know what I need to type in for command interpreter? Thanks. Trying.....

When you get to

, it all leads to "Type the name of the Command Interpreter. C>_ "

Insert an emergency diskette in A: and try entering

a:\command.com

By the way, Write protect the flopy in case you have malware. -------------------------------------
Jnick opinions are not necessarily those of
Code:
Ronin Software Group

Turn your pc on and press F5 repeatedly several times after memory counts. See if it will boot you into safe mode.

To restore the Windows 95 operating system and make the disk bootable, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer with the Startup Disk created during Setup, (or one you have downloaded from the net, for your O/S)

2. Make a backup copy of the current MSDOS.SYS file by typing the following lines at the command prompt:
c:
cd\windows\command
attrib c:\msdos.sys -r -s -h
ren c:\msdos.sys msdos.xxx

3. Use the SYS command from the Startup Disk to transfer the system files to the hard disk by typing the following lines at the command prompt:
a:
sys c:

4. Replace the new MSDOS.SYS file with the backup copy by typing the following lines at the command prompt:
c:
cd\windows\command
attrib c:\msdos.sys -r -s -h
del c:\msdos.sys
ren c:\msdos.xxx msdos.sys
attrib c:\msdos.sys +r +s +h​

5. Remove disk, Shut down and restart the computer.

This should make your disk bootable, and boot into windows.

Good Luck
Sly "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

If you get to working with the Emergency Diskette, also do

FDISK /MBR

which restores the master boot records on the disk which can be useful if you have a virus that uses that.

ok so i bought a new cd-rw, yamaha, and i installed some of the softwear if came with it and before this it was fine but then i installed the adobe softwear it came with it and it asked me to restart my comp. i did so and it came up with an error message of type the name of the command interpreter (e.g., C:\windows\command.com). i did so and it didn't work. i've tried everything and i still can't get it to work. also my mother board is bran new with an amd athom xp and i really don't want it to be that as the problem, i think i got a crappy brand of mother board. so any help anyone can give me would be great. i would love to actually get my computer working sometime in the next year, heh. thanx

ok so i bought a new cd-rw, yamaha, and i installed some of the softwear if came with it and before this it was fine but then i installed the adobe softwear it came with it and it asked me to restart my comp. i did so and it came up with an error message of type the name of the command interpreter (e.g., C:\windows\command.com). i did so and it didn't work. i've tried everything and i still can't get it to work. also my mother board is bran new with an amd athom xp and i really don't want it to be that as the problem, i think i got a crappy brand of mother board. so any help anyone can give me would be great. i would love to actually get my computer working sometime in the next year, heh. thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back