Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comm program recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelphnguy

Technical User
Mar 2, 2006
US
I'm looking for recommendations to dial into my Meridian PBXs. Up untill now I used Procomm + 4.8. But the MFG says is not completely compatible with Windows XP. That would be ok as I only use it to dial into the PBXs. Unfortunatly my company will soon be going to Windows 7.0.

Other alternatives that I've used are Hyperterminal. Which is not dependable, or XTalk for windows. But I don't know if it is still available or compatible.

Any suggestions??

Nortelphnguy
-- "You're Never Alone When You're Near A Phone"
...Lily Tomlin - aka "Ernestine

SecureCRT is an execellent applications. Support TAPI, RLogin, SSH1 and 2, Telnet and serial.

because i use scripts for everthing i would never switch from procomm,, it runs on 5 pc's here in the switchroom, all running xp.. it runs on my home pc, running visio(trash os).. and from my real pc, a laptop running knoppix linux, i haven't gotten it loaded to persistant dsl, but i will.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

i thought you were going to rrtire to some wood working JP -4 ??

Mato' Was'aka

John Poole knows me for my knowledge of Procomm Plus and I use it on Windows 98se, 2000, XP and had it working on Vista OK.

The issue here is that "Symantec" won't support it. It doesn't mean that it won't work with XP and the only problem I find is that every now and again I have to check / change one entry in my dialling directory that gets the wrong dial up number in it's box. Other than that, it's fine.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

If you are looking for a supported product I'd go with SecureCRT.
- Built in rlogin and SSH support
- scripting using VB script, Jscript or perl
- script recorder
- excellent tech support
- automatic logging to new log file at midnight
- lots of other handy features

WRQ Reflection is also a good product that will do just about anything but a bit pricey last time I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back