Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

comm port support for the newer Mother Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
The newer motherboards have not work with external modems using clipper. Does anyone know why? It will work under DOS but not Windows. I use silver clip. If someone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks

This could be the problem with Windows 98 power saving. Windows 98 starts up and the com ports are switched on. It save this info, loads Windows and the power saving turns the ports off. You load a DOS app and Windows returns the origional status, ie port is on, while in fact it's off.

You could turn power saving off in the BIOS, but this can allow AMD Athlons/Durons to run hotter, ACPI issues a stop on the CPU rather than a pause in an idle state and this can cool the CPU by 3-4Deg C.

There is a registry hack:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VCOMM change it from 01 00 00 00 to 00 00 00 00

Hi MrClipper, I have an old clipper program that needs some modification. The thing is I don't have the silver clip anymore. I would appreciate it very much if you can send me a copy of this library. Thanks and more power!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back