Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Come play: "I can name that query in two lines"! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebLazer

Programmer
Jun 7, 2002
US
I have two tables: new_org_info and org_data. Both have a field called org_nbr.

new_org_info.org_nbr contains all null values. I need to copy every value of org_data.org_nbr into new_org_info.org_nbr (i.e. "update") whenever they share a common org_name.

What is the query?

Thanks,
RebLazer :)
Chicago, IL

Try this:

update new_org_info
set org_nbr = org.org_nbr
from new_org_info n join org_data org
on n.org_name = org.org_name

Hope this helps.

The above will only work if org_name is unique in both tables. Is this true?

Entaroadun,
Yes, you are correct. It will only update the org_nbr where the two databases have org_name equal.

Good Luck.

What I meant was:

If org_name is unique:

org_data
A 1
B 2
C 3

new_org
A <Null>
B <Null>
C <Null>

The update will work properly.

If org_name is not unique:

org_data
A 1
A 2
B 3

new_org
A <Null>
A <Null>
B <Null>

This will not work. You will get:

new_org
A 1
A 1
B 3

This happens because the update query takes the first value that matches the join criteria for the new value.

How much control do you have over the structure of the new_org_info table? If you could add a column that kept track of the number of occurences of each org_data name, then you could use that column to control your updates. Can you add a column to the table?

would something like:

update org_info set org_nbr where (select org_nbr from org_dat where org_nbr not in (select org_nbr from new_org_info))

work?

i messed up:

update new_org_info set org_nbr where (select org_nbr from org_data where org_nbr not in (select org_nbr from new_org_info))

I think that's correct now, insert it from org_data if not already in new_org_info. If i have my logic right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back