Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ComboBox Selection Limits Next ComboBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis72

Technical User
Dec 6, 2007
US
I have a form that has the following:

Category SubCategory
Dogs Maltese
Dogs Golden Retreiver
Birds Parakeet
Birds Finch

I would like to select Dogs from Category and have SubCategory automatically limited by that selection.

I have looked through pages of postings about ComboBoxes and I can't find anything that is related. Though I am probably limited by not knowing what to call what I am looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!~

Elvis72 . . .

Have a look here faq702-4289 easily found in the faq's!

BTW: you do realize your [blue]Category[/blue] data is not normalized!

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Its been awhile since I have created a database, I have done a categoryid and subcategoryid and a table combining them...not sure that falls under normalized?

Elvis72 . . .

Its the duplicate data that makes it unnormalized. This is not in any direct relation to setting up the combobox's, but is indicative of poor table design. You should have two tables simular to:

[tt][blue]Category
--------

CatID as Autonumber (primarykey) [purple]one side[/purple] of a relationship to [purple]subCategory.CatID[/purple]
catName as Text

subCategory
-----------

subCatID as Autonumber (primarykey)
CatID as Long Integer [purple]many side[/purple] of a relationship to [purple]Category.CatID[/purple]
sCatName[/blue][/tt]

I'm not trying to side step designing the combo's, however I'm sure you won't wanna come back and redesign tables. This could cause redesign to cascade thru the entire DB!

References: Normalizing Tables Table Relationships

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back