Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ComboBox Question -- Excel and VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmese

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
I am creating an Excel expense report template for my company. It contains ComboBoxes for users to select different projects to charge their expenses to. On the bottom of the template is an area that will be used for the accounts payable clerks to key in information based on the ComboBoxes.

My question is whether there is a way to write a LOOKUP formula to pull what was selected in the ComboBox to a specific cell. In a perfect world the function would work like the following: =IF("ComboBox1"="","",LOOKUP(------)).

Any ideas on the appropriate function and or VB code to get me there. THANKS!!!

HI,

The value selected is ComboBox1.Value

You can put that value in a particular cell, lets say A1...

[A1].Value = ComboBox1.Value

Then you lookup is based on the value in A1

=VLOOKUP(A1,LookupTable,LookupColumn,FALSE)

You might modify the above formula to accomodate a non-existant lookup value using the ISERROR function.

Hope this helps :) Skip,
SkipAndMary1017@mindspring.com

THANKS SKIP!!!

Unfortunately, I think I might be messing up the function. I am typing the following in the cell:

=Value("ComboBox1.Value")

it is returning the #Value! Excel Error. Any suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Are you expecting a numeric value? This function converts a string of digits to a numeric value. Skip,

No, say the user selected the following from the ComboBox "Project1".

A cell would populate the text value from the ComboBox(i.e. Project1). Then from there I would use the VLOOKUP to specify the appropriate relationship (in this case if Project1 was selected - I would put in the applicable accounting code for that project in a VLOOKUP Table).

I hope I am making sense. Please advise. Thanks!

The VALUE function converts numeric text digits to a numeric value.

Why didn't you use...

=VLOOKUP(A1,LookupTable,LookupColumn,FALSE)

where A1 would contain "Project1" and the VLOOKUP function would return the accounting code. Skip,

Because I need to populate cell A1 with the ComboBox selection (there are 12 to choose from). Sorry for the confusion.

Well, that is EXACTLY what I am suggesting! A1 get the value of the ComboBox and the VLOOKUP function returns you accounting code to WHATEVER cell you decide to put it in. Skip,

my bad...it was a VB Code problem I had related to the Reset button I had set up (basically it wasn't saving my LinkedCell). you have been a great help and i thank you very much. take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back