Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

combobox limitation VFP 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

geralyn

Programmer
Dec 10, 2003
US
I have a combo list box on a form using a single field from table as the rowsource. Client called to complain that the screen was 'freezing'. After two days of looking and testing for every conceivable source I found that if the table used by the combo box had less than 445 records it worked fine. There is no documentation (that I've found) that says there is a limit for a combo box....any comments?

What Service Pack Level are you running? I believe SP2 or 3 fixed some problems in this area. (SP 5 was the last update.)

Is the table on the local system or on a network file server?

Rick

Geralyn

The combobox might not be the ideal control for this many records. I have also found that the more records there are, the slower (or it freezes) it gets. Consider maybe using an array as a rowsource, or switching to a grid.
Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

The table is a customer file on the network...the company is a mfg of prototypes and mainly work for the big three so it's not like their customer base is going to grow and grow...I foresee maybe two to four records a year for additional billing locations and errors...

I thought I had updated with SP5....is there a way to check for this?

At any rate, if I have to change the type of control, I will... but I just found it odd and wondered if anyone else experienced this problem.

Oh, by the way Rick, I had said that the file was on a network server, however, I get the same result here on my single user system....

Geralyn

You may consider an Array as your rowsourcetype. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back