Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Card (700504556) on 8.1.56

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaidi1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2013
PK
Tried fitting two combo cards (700504556) in IPO 8.1.56. They started showing red light. Figured out this particular combo card works with 8.1.63 or higher.

So I have installed Manager 8.1.73 on my PC to upgrade the IPO. Just want to know should I take the combo cards out and then upgrade the system. Or just leave the combo cards fitted in with them showing red light and upgrade it?

The cards should be left in.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

i would unseat them and get them out of the config before upgrading. then shut down and seat the combo card.turn on and run the upgrade again if it doesn' fire up after 5 minutes.

i have no factual basis for doing it this way, just empathy with the electronics by not asking the system to do anything it's not capable of at that point in time.

Let me play my playmo please.

Nothing like getting two opposite answers :p

I know upgrade wizard also upgrades expansion units along with an IPO. Do base/combo cards also get upgraded. If yes then upgrading an IPO without them in it makes them on different version?

Expansion modules etc. are different in that they are, generally, already supported by that level of firmware. The combo card isn't.
You're asking the IPO to accept hardware it doesn't recognize. It may as well be a DLC8 from an NEC at that point.
You're stressing the IPO beyond its designed operational limits by giving it something it doesn't feel at home with and also running the risk of corrupting the config.
I would have the IPO at a release where combo cards are recognized and then run the upgrade again if the combo card needs it.

To answer your question, combo cards get upgraded at the time of the upgrade if present in the system. That's why you may wish to run the upgrade again if it doesn't have the firmware for the new hardware. I can't remember ever having to upgrade a system after the addition of a new card to get the card to take effect.

Let me play my playmo please.

Well yes seems like a better idea to upgrade the system without the combo cards. But what if it then requires a second upgrade to accept the combo cards? Would all the fields be grayed out accept the combo cards' fields in an upgrade wizard? Or it will upgrade the whole system?

It would only upgrade the combo card if the rest is up to date.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

There is no separate firmware for the Internal modules in an IP Office, this is all part of the core firmware for the control unit (or at least if there is it is included in the IP500 firmware & downloaded to the card as part of the boot process).

just recreate the SD card to the correct level & then reboot the IPO

whether or not you have the Combo card in at this point is entirely up to you (I would have it in so that I did not have to shut down & reboot again)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back