Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda55

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
Is there a limit on the number of records that display in a combo box? I have a wierd problem. My form is based on a query with a lookup combo box that has been working fine to bring up the record for the name in the combo box. After I archived more records in the table I have this problem: When I typed in a name that started with a "T" my box display is blank. I have discovered that the last name that will display is "Springer Wanda". I can use my arrow buttons to display the record for "Sprinkle Ralph" but his name won't show in my combo box. I have 78,159 records and that made me wonder if the combo box has a size limit. Thanks for your help

64K records, but, 64K is so far beyond the limit of usability in a List Box that it is
immaterial. It's not, perhaps, beyond the limit of usability in a Combo Box if
AutoExpand is set to Yes, but performance will not be very good. One of
Microsoft Press' books on User Interface design suggested 20-50 as a maximum
number of items in a list or combo (but that wasn't taking AutoExpand into
account) because if you have more you should find some alternative to the user
having to scroll through all of them.

Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

I created another combo lookup box based on a query in which I set the criteria to be >r. Now all the names below "Springer Wanda" appear in my new combo box. Does this turn on a light bulb for anyone? I don't want to have two combo boxes to bring up my records but at least now I have a way to bring them up.

I would consider having one combo box to select the letter ranges for last names, i.e., a, b, n-m, whatever. And using that to populate records of the other box that shows just those names that begin with the specified letter(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back