Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

combo box with 3 columns used on a form

Status
Not open for further replies.

uscitizen

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
i have a table which has a field called 'schedule'. the field uses a combo box, table/query, which 'points to' a table with three columns - the 1st column of the lookup table is designated as the one to bind to the field 'schedule'. also, in configuring the column widths, i indicated the widths of all three available look up fields for viewing.

i created a form which includes a combo box field with the same row source as the one used by 'schedule' field on the underlying table; the field's control source is designated to be 'schedule'. the bound column was designated as 1, once again.

would i not expect to be able to see the same three columns from the same underlying look up list when i go to enter data using the form view of the table?

If you are asking if the data will be saved showing the 3 columns then no. The table will only save the bound column(of the 3 fields). If you are asking if the form will display the 3 columns then no - it will only display your bound column (however, if the user clicks the drop down button it will display all three columns). If I missunderstood you then please correct me!

jbehrne

hi -

before posting my query, i knew that only the bound column will be saved by the table - even though i am displaying all three fields. on the form, however, i am not seeing the display of the three fields when i click the drop down button. you have not misunderstood me, i don't think.

i don't know whether this is relevant in the sense somehow responsible the anomaly i'm getting, however, i would like to add to my initial posting by saying that originally i had a look-up table that contained but only one field, the field that is now referred to as column number 1. i proceeded to add two more fields, cols 2 and 3, and then i re-tweeked the look-up table's property information to reflect the fact i intended to display all of the three columns worth of information in the modified look-up combo box and continue to bind col 1 to the control.

is there something that need to be done to the form to adjust or reflect the above modifications to the table i just mentioned?

Yes there is something to be done to any Form that you have already used the combo-box on.
Because you have made changes to a look-up in your Table design, after placing controls on one or more forms, any controls on these forms based on your old Table design will not reflect the "new" changes made to your Table!
You will have to change the "Row Source" property for any of these "Old" controls, to reflect your new 3 column look-up.
You will have to check the "Column Widths", and other properties associated with your existing combo-box controls until they look like (your Table changes) or like you want them to.
Or you could delete (on your forms) all combo-boxes that you have changed. Then you could drag and drop them back onto your forms, (from the field list), and they would be formatted just like they are in your table.

aflat

Yes :) Indeed ---- with thanks to you folks -- that seems to have done it. I am a happy camper again.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back