Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box to Return Report Names 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTDP

Technical User
Feb 15, 2004
ZA
in Access 2000, how can I create a combo box that returns the names of reports in the database?

SELECT DISTINCTROW MSysObjects.Name
FROM MSysObjects
WHERE ((MSysObjects.Type)=-32764) AND ((MSysObjects.Flags)<>8)
ORDER BY MSysObjects.Name;

will give you an alphabetical listing of the reports as named.

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

For the rowsource of your combobox copy/paste;

SELECT Name FROM msysobjects WHERE (((msysobjects.Type)=-32764));

*pounds head on desk* Thank you! It has been a long day!

How would select specific reports to put into the combo box? So that not all reports are pulled?

I guess it depends what you want to filter on. Maybe build a table with several fields so you can group and filter the reports as needed.

tblReports
strReportName
strReportCategory
someOtherFields

In a listbox or combo rowsource
select strReportName from tblReports where strReportCategory = 'someCategory'

You may wish to read this thread702-1397583
which has some suggestions for comboboxes and reports.

Remou seems to suggest what I was saying. However, that brings up a good point. The table should have a field for the report namem, probably an alias, and maybe even a description. So you could then have a combo box that shows something like

Report Description
2007 Accounts | Shows 2007 outstanding accounts

vice something like

rpt2007accounts

Another approach I've used is to name reports according to their type, i.e. financial, operations, etc. with a three digit prefix (finMonthlySales, oprPersonell, etc) then use something like this as the source for the combobox for financials, for example:

SELECT [MSysObjects].[Name] FROM MsysObjects WHERE (Left$([Name],3)= "fin") And ([MSysObjects].[Type])=-32764 ORDER BY [MSysObjects].[Name];

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back