Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box contents unbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

christrawick

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
US
I've got a VB form with an ADODB connection to an Access table. Each of the text fields are bound to the respective Access table fields. There is a combobox on the VB form that is being populated by an existing Access query. It works great, but here's my dilemna:

For records already in the database with a value already chosen for the "combobox" field, if I populate the combo during the FormLoad procedure, the value is cleared, and the user must re-select it from the combo drop down. While this works great for adding new records in which I want the user to select a value from the drop down, how do I configure it so that the pre-existing selection will display within the combo? If the user wants to change the value for a certain record, that's fine, but the value needs to be preserved initially on opening each individual record.

Thanks alot

christrawick,

I have the same problem. Is it possible for you to share the solution you came up with?

thanks,
Rad

I also have the same problem that you described. I have a form that has two data controls (Parent/Child) I have a dataclass that handles the logistics of both sets of data. I too have a bunch of fields that need to be combo boxes, because the user needs to see what is currently displayed in the recordset, but also have the ability to change it. I don't need a datacombo because I have only two entries for the combo box, like "Open" or "Close". Some combos will have a few more items than two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back