Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining Text fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyshadow5

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
GB
I have a number of fields, Supplier Name, Address etc that I want to include on a remittance advice. Some of the fields are empty for some suppliers and not on others. How do I suppress the blank lines so that for every supplier the address comes up as one block address with no blank lines?

WELL SKYSHADOW, HAVE YOU TRIED THE TRIM FUNCTION IN A QUERY? OR EVEN AN IF(ISNULL...) MIGHT HELP. OR THE VISIBLE PROPERTIES IN THE REPORT'S DETAIL SECTION - AFTER PLACING THE FIELDS FROM THE FIELD LIST IN ANOTHER SECTION.

Tried the trim function, didn't work - unless I got it wrong of course.
Tried: IIF(IsNull[fieldname],"",[fieldname) chr(13) chr(10)
But even adding the carriage return and line feed codes didn't work. I remeber using another databse software (Alpha5 I think) that allowed the placing of fields in an unbound object box with Alt+Enter separating the entries. This forced blank lines to be suppressed but it appears that this is not possible in Access, pity. I'm sure the answer is simple but I must confess to a mental block on this one.

Thanks for the reply. Found the answer. Just set "Can Shrink" to yes in the properties box for each field that may contain blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back