Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

combining multiple records in one field

Status
Not open for further replies.

evansc

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
US
Okay--this is kind of an odd request. . .

I have a table that lists courts and the year they completed a project. So frequently a single court may have completed projects in multiple years.

Obviously, the query lists them per record as follows:

Court#1 2000
Court#1 2001
Court#1 2002
etc.

I would like it to print on the report as:

Court #1 2000/2001/2002

Is that even possible?

Just FYI--the Court is the detail of the report--there are two grouping levels above it.

Yuo could use a do while Loop that looked a the info based on the project and then loop through the records based on Court Number then did something like
Dim rst as Recordset
Dim txtYears as string
Set rst = CurrentDb.Openrecordset( Select * From CourtList Where Project=" & ...............)
Do While rstCourt = some variable that selects the one you want.....
txtYears = txtYears & "/" & rst!Year
rst.movenext
Loop
rst.close
set rst = nothing
I realise this is not complete but is a guide fro you to work with.

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

There is a generic Concatenate function and sample usage at
Duane
MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green]
[red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]
[blue]Ask me about my grandson, get a grand answer.[/blue]

Okay, I went into that sample, and copied the sql to try to redo it for my query.

This is what it looks like now:

SELECT Courts.Court, Concatenate("SELECT Year FROM ProjPerCourt WHERE Court =" & [Court]) AS Year
FROM Courts;

But when I try to run it I get "Compile error in query expression 'Concatenate. . .'"

What might I be doing wrong?

Because [Court] produces a string not an integer you need to amend your SQL as follows:

WHERE Court =" & "'" & [Court] & "'")

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

That makes sense--thanks. I still don't know very much sql or code and I don't always realize the little things like that.

Okay, I still get the same error for the following.

SELECT Courts.Court, Concatenate("SELECT Year FROM ProjPerCourt WHERE Court =" & "'" & [Court] & "'") AS Years
FROM Courts;

I did check to make sure and Court is text, so I would think this would be right. I've even checked to see if I have the same number of spaces as Duane did!

And when I try the following in a form or report I am told that the Visual Basic Module contains a syntax error.

=Concatenate("SELECT Year FROM ProjPerCourt WHERE Court =" & "'" & [Court] & "'")

Would it make a difference that I'm on Access 2002?

After you copied the code into a module, did you attempt to compile your database? Make sure also that you didn't save the module with the same name as the function.

Duane
MS Access MVP

I am attempting a similar operation and hope someone can help me. After downloading Duane's MDB I copied the script into a new module in my MDB and compiled it. But my query gives me an error every time:

Run time error- 2147217904 (80040e10)
No value given for one or more required paramters.

The expression I'm using in my query is:

Products: Concatenate("SELECT LineID FROM PROOF_lines WHERE PEIdir.member_class =" & [MemberID])

The debug window has highlighted this portion:

rs.Open pstrSQL, CurrentProject.Connection, _
adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

The first time this happened I tried commenting out the DAO portion and using the ADO- but that bombed even sooner.

You would not have PEIDir.Member_Class in table PROOF_lines. Does member_class contain the same values as MemberID? Which field [member_class] or [MemberID] is in the table PROOF_Lines?

Duane
MS Access MVP

MemberID is in the Proof_lines table, and it is the same value as member_class in PEIdir.

Products: Concatenate("SELECT LineID FROM PROOF_lines WHERE [MemberID] = " & [member_class])

This assumes both fields are numeric. If they are text, use:
Products: Concatenate("SELECT LineID FROM PROOF_lines WHERE [MemberID] = """ & [member_class] & """")

Duane
MS Access MVP

Once again I am stumped.

I cannot undertsand why this will not work:

Topics: Concatenate("SELECT Description FROM tblTableAssignments WHERE [Reg_No] =" & [RegID])

Both Reg_No and RegID are numeric fields and I have tried every combination of brackets, no brackets, etc. It gives me the same familiar error:

Run time error- 2147217904 (80040e10)
No value given for one or more required paramters.

Is it possible for the RegID field to be null?

Topics: Concatenate("SELECT Description FROM tblTableAssignments WHERE [Reg_No] =" & Nz([RegID],-1))

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

No, but it's a pretty good chance that Description exists in another table!

Duh.

Sorry for the trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back