Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2002
US
I have an excel file set up like so:
Account Number; Description; Amount.

Some of the account numbers are duplicated. If the account number is the same I want the amount to add together, thus combining like data. How do I do this?
Thanks!

Probably the most helpful tool in Excel for combining this type of data is a Pivot Table. Make sure your data has column headers, then highlight the data (including headers) and select PivotTables from the Data menu. Depending on what version of Excel you're running you may have a slightly different string of dialog boxes, but basically you want to drag the amount to the data section (main area on PivotTable) and the account # and description to the Row Fields section (to left of data area). By default, the PivotTable will SUM the amounts and alphabetically order your account #'s (you can change the aggregation function and the order, but it sounds like the defaults would probably get you what you're looking for).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back