Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining data from different universes

Status
Not open for further replies.

achmo

Programmer
Aug 30, 2001
IL
hello,

As a user, I need to combine data from more then one univers - for example, get a list of social security numbers and names from one univers based on specific conditions, and add a column with address taken from a different univers.

I have created two reports in my document, each from a different univers. one has numbers and names, the other numbers and adresses. Now how do I combine the two?

Thanks,

Yael

It's called data provider linking. You have to have a key field in both tables that will make your data similar. If you have that field between the two data providers, you can go into Data Manger, select an object from one of the data provders, go to the definitions tab, and link it with the button there.

Hope that helps.

V

ok, I followed your instructions and linked the social security number on both reports. Now I can add the number from one report to the other, but all the other objects are still not available - how do I add the address from one data provider to the table on the other data provider, based on the linked social security numbers?

thanks

Yael

Try this, you have 2 report tables / data providers showing on a single report tab. You need to get the address info from table 2 into report table 1. Click on the column in table 1 where you want to insert the column from table 2. You must get the heading/detail all highlighted. Now use the tool bar and click on the insert cell, (before or after column) this will insert a blank column cell. Now right click in the detail area of the new column to highlight and get a drop down box. Click on edit formula, find in the list of objects the field from table 2 you want and double click it. Ok. This should bring the data over to table 1. You can now duplicate the report tab, highlight the entire table 2 and delete it. This will not delete the data provider if you click on the data manager button, you should still see both are there.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back