Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combine fields from two tables into a single field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulligh

Technical User
May 8, 2001
US
I have been reading the FAQ's and don't know the best and easiest way to approach this. Plus, I don't have a lot of experience writing SQL statements, so would appreciate some help.

I have a table "Main" that has a one-to-many relationship with table "tbl_names". They are linked on field "ID". I want to combine all of the corresponding records in tbl_names.name into Main.combined_names where ID is the same. I would like each name to be delimited with a line break. Could someone help me with the SQL, etc.? Thanks a whole bunch.

Example:

table "Main":
ID Description
1 This is the description
2 This is another description

table "tbl_names"
ID Name
1 Smith, John
1 Rocket, Johnny
1 Violet, African
2 Doe, Jane
2 Doe, John

Thanks for the tip...I have already seen this but am unclear how to construct the SQL statement for my database. I was also wondering whether I could just use the INSERT INTO SQL statement instead?

SELECT ID, Description, Concatenate("SELECT Name FROM tbl_names WHERE ID=" & [ID]) As combined_names
FROM Main

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

OOps, missed the line break:
SELECT ID, Description
, Concatenate("SELECT Name FROM tbl_names WHERE ID=" & [ID], Chr(13) & Chr(10)) As combined_names
FROM Main

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks for your help...I'm getting closer...

When I run the query, I get an error 3061 "Too few parameters. Expected 1"

Here's the module I'm using (comments removed)

Function Concatenate(pstrSQL As String, _
Optional pstrDelim As String = ", ") _
As String

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(pstrSQL)

Dim strConcat As String 'build return string
With rs
If Not .EOF Then
.MoveFirst
Do While Not .EOF
strConcat = strConcat & _
.Fields(0) & pstrDelim
.MoveNext
Loop
End If
.Close
End With
Set rs = Nothing
'====== uncomment next line for DAO ========
Set db = Nothing
If Len(strConcat) > 0 Then
strConcat = Left(strConcat, _
Len(strConcat) - Len(pstrDelim))
End If
Concatenate = strConcat
End Function

And I forgot to add that when I debug the error, it opens VB and highlights this line:

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(pstrSQL)

And what is the SQL code ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

Thanks for your continuing assistance...

SELECT ID, [Description of image], Concatenate("SELECT Name FROM tbl_names WHERE ID=" & [ID],Chr(13) & Chr(10)) AS combined_names
FROM Main;

Note that [Description of Image] is the fullname of the field "Description" that I gave in my example.

OK, stupid me, I had the wrong field name in SELECT, should have been "Names" instead of "Name".

After fixing this stupid mistake, the query ran great (of course). Thank you so much for your time and help, I REALLY appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back