Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combine a variable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitibob

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
GB
Hi all

Probably a simple solution - but I can't see it!

Have a variable (Universe level) that has three categories (5Wds, 5-15Wds and Failure) - using two dataproviders, I have a report with numbers of flows in the three categories and null results i.e

5Wds 12
5-15Wds 24
Failure 02
null 05

Total 43

now, I need to re-orginise the data to give all the 5Wds, all those less than 15Wds (both 5Wds and 5-15Wds) and the nulls

Any ideas?

:)

do some reading on the "Where" statement.

Count(<x>) where (category=&quot;5Wds) + Count(<x>) where (category=&quot;5-15Wds&quot;) Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

Thanks Steve for the response - I have tried the 'where' statement and it works fine. But I would really like a new variable, so I can report out like:

5 Wds 12
Less than 15Wds 36
null 05

Total 43

hope this clarifies my situation

So, build a variable using the Where statement:

<Less that 15Wds> = Count(<x>) where (category=&quot;5Wds) + Count(<x>) where (category=&quot;5-15Wds&quot;) Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

Thanks again Steve - bear with me - I will try and be clearer.

What I really need is a new dimension that I can incorporate from/with the old one. I thought of using a CASE statement - but this is not supported in oracle version 8.

but in any situation, I will get an error as a flow sent in 3wds will be in both the '5Wds' category and the 'less than 15' category.....(I guess I want the moon on a stick ;) )

CASE is in Oracle as of 8.1.7. You can use a combination of Decode and sign to accomplish the same thing. If you want to do this at the universe level, you'll need to build several objects: 1 for each bucket.

Then it's possible to have the 3 appear in the 5 and 15 category.

This has been discussed alot lately on the busobj.forumtopics.com site. Check it out and search it for CASE or bucket or decode. Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back