Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comaring current and prior year

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizzyb

Programmer
Aug 10, 2001
GB
Hi,

I want to create a report in Powerplay which compares the sales values for each month in the current year with the corresponding month in the prior year.
I am struggling!

I want to produce something that looks roughly like this

JAN FEB MAR APR etc

curr year 10 20 12 45

prior year 13 23 10 40

I need to show this for each of a list of products. So The report could instead show something like: products in columns and the dates somehow in the rows.

Please help!

Regards
Tiz

Tiz,
I think to do this, you need to have two date dimension, one with no year level and one with, so that the first can provide the month and the second can provide the year.
If it's mot in the model, you'll need to add it with transformer.
(If you use the date wizard, you will get some special date categories automatically generated, which include a YTD comparison (YTD group))
lex

Thanks Lex,

I get the theory. I've created my new time dimension with only months as a level. And I've told it to format the months as MMM rather than YYYY/MMM.
But it still insists on giving me a category for each month for each year.

Any ideas how I get it to group all Jans under one Jan?

Tiz

Tiz,
Yup - insert a new column in the data source, make it calculated and use the MONTH(<your date>) function or duplicate the <your date> field and use the &quot;time&quot; tab of the properties of the column to set M as the degree of detail.
lex

Great, that's done the trick!
Minor thing is the month is defined as a no 1-12 rather than a string.

Thanks for your help.
Tiz

hi
u can incoporate it by creating a new dimension in the cube...which u have to create the new dimension by inserting a calculated column....the calaculation should be month(date column)...then use this in ur report.....an example of this is given in step by step transformwner document....on pg 93.....hope that helps
yash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back