Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

com ports problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyRR

MIS
Aug 31, 2001
US
My modem on my laptop is unable to connect to the net (or dial out to any number). Modem diags report that it can't find a dial tone (I know there is a dail tone).

Device manager in Windows doesn't reflect any com ports (just the LPT port). Then in command mode I ran DEBUG and it shows all 0' (zeroes) where it should be showing the com port addresses.

My question is this:

How can I fix the com ports? Or, any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Rocky

Rocky

Are you in the UK? Some modems have trouble with the BT 1571 answering service that gives a non continuous beep - I know several modems that don't recognise that as a dialling tone, but others that do.

John

Try checking in the bios to ensure you com ports aren't disabled.

Has the modem worked before??

I'm in the U.S.

My modem has worked before, for at least 2 years.

I went to the BIOS and the only options there are:
-boot method
-time and date setting
-password setting

It is a Phoenix BIOS, but the options are pretty limited compared to what I've seen on other PC's.

Thanks Guys

Just go to add hardware and add the com port as a device and see if it adds the comm port. It may be disabled in the BIOS. If you enable it you may have to select an address range. I do not recall what the defaults are. They are probably pretty much the same on most computers for COMM1, COMM2, COMM3, etc.

You must have a COMM port on your computer for your mouse and video to work, I would think! Some Modems prefer a specific COMM port.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Might be listed as PCMCIA (SPELL) device. I dont really use laptops much myself. It it runs off the card bus I dont know what it show up as.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back