Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM PORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyezer

MIS
Apr 17, 2002
US
I still can't figure out how to configure my com port, or check to actually se if it is working? I'm using XP. Any suggestions?

Two places you should look is first in the bios under intergrated peripherals, check to see what the addresses are available for your serial ports, xp will treat them as com ports, like when you have a serial mouse attached. As long as they are not diabled, you should have four com addresses available. Standard is 2f8 and 3f8. Once you have XP loaded, right click My Computer select properties, select hardware tab, device manager, and under ports you should see something like "Communications port (COM 1). selecting properties for the port will will give you four tabs with info regarding location, settings, driver, and resources. With resources you can manually configure your computer to use a specific address for any com you want as long as it doesnt conflict with other devices. if you have the same address listed in the port properties as you have assigned in the bios and it reports no conflicts, it should be working. if it's a modem attached, try opening the modems dialog box through printers and other hardware through Control panel, and look for "query modem". If you get a responce (like 255) for AT17, everything should be good. if you are still having problems with the port, you can check your Isa/Legacy Manual config in the bios and see if if any ports are listed as ISA, This shouldn't be the case since on most newer MB's ports are handled by the PCI to CPU Bridge. Hope any of this helps, if not try your tech support for the manufacturer of the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back