Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Com port works but mouse doesn't???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have an older pentium that has a serial mouse attached to it. Every time that I start Windows, I get the prompt to attach a PS/2 mouse. I've tried removing the mouse from device manager, but that didn't work.

I tried going into Control Panel and changing the mouse settings under the General tab. When I select the Change button, nothing happens and the text box has some unintelligible garble in it.

I tried using another mouse that I knew worked. I've also used some diagnostic software, QA PLUS and PC Doctor (with and without loopback plugs), to check out the Com port. The Com port passed all of the test. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Gene,

I know this is going to sound stupid, but have you tried a PS/2 mouse? Also, what kind of computer are you running? Have you installed any new hardware or software? When did this start and what were you doing? Did this happen all of a sudden or did it take place over a period of time? These are questions any good Tech Support person would ask. One last thing, do you HAVE any PS/2 ports? Even if you don't, Windows will still ask for them.

I've also had the same problem. I tried to use both com ports and even replaced one of the 9 pin ports with a 25 pin port and used an adapter. It is an on board com port on a pentium 233. It is either an Abit or Azza mainboard. In device manager It mentioned that I'm using IRQ 12 for the p/s2 mouse but I don't have a ps/2 mouse port on the computer. I also used pc checkit to test the ports and they passed but didn't register a known good mouse.

It is driving me crazy.

Your help will be greatly appreciated Microsoft Works - The Ultimate Oxymoron
Tyro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back