Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM Port Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogs

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
GB
I have recently moved some software to a new PC - the software connects to remote fuel systems via the com port. The new PC doesnt appear to be connecting - what is the best way of checking whether the com port works?? Nogs
[ponder]

First of all, check up the software, what port (COM1 or COM2, ...) it uses. Try to select another port it the settings. If it's impossible, check up quantity of ports in system. If your new computer has built-in video and only one COM port on the back panel, it doesn't mean the system board has only one COM port. Can be, that the additional connector for the second port is not installed. And check your computer's BIOS settings - the COM ports have to be enabled.

If problem persists, you can use old serial mouse (if you have it) to check up the COM port. Try to connect it to COM port (and disconnect PS/2 mouse) and look, is it found whether or not. If found - port works.
You can also use external modem to check out the COM port, if you have it.

There are special programs for ports checking, but I don't use them. More simple means usually suffice. Can be, such programs someone will advise another.

And modern machines allow you to switch address and IRQs for the COMM ports so you can change their assignments. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

It could also be possible that your BIOS turned the COM-port to be n infrared one.
Normally, you can assign the function (COM, IrDA, ...) to every port in the computer's BIOS.
Just look thru it.

MatMike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back