Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Com Port in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyWater

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hi all,

Have a problem. Have a windows 2000 pro user that has a terminal application that connects to another computer via com port 1. He was using NT 4 previously without an issue although I never configured it. We had to update his machine to Win2k pro as it was mandated. From within the application, when it tries to connect to the remote computer, an error pops up immediately stating either another instance of the program or another application is using Com 1. I know that there is no other instance of the program running so I'm scratching my head to try and figure out what's using Com 1. He doesn't have Palm software installed either. Not sure if there is an application out there that will tell you what's using the port. In system information - serial ports, com 1, The busy item has a value of -1 and IRQ set to 4. com 2 has a value of 0 and IRQ set to 3. Any help is surely appreciated.

Thanks,

HW

The IRQ's are setup fine, try to uninstall com1 from the device manager, when the computer comes backup it will reinstall the port.
Try the link then

Maybe a port monitor can help you out. And also, there could be a service running in that computer using that port. Maybe the service is running without need and you can shut it down, but you need to know wich one is.
Check if you have any resident program that could be using that port also. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Thanks..

I'll give em both a go and let you all know how it goes.

Regards,

HW

I have seen this before it has usually been corrected by disableing an IR port or possilby USB port.

Yeap, IR uses Com usually. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back