Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM -> Getting the caller context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWoberts

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

I know that VB COM, you can refernece the ASP libraries and call GetObjectContext to get at the ASP builtin objects...

What I want to do is the same thing, but get the context of the caller when its not ASP. My COM dll wants to know:

"Who called me, and from what folder?"

Am I living in a dream world, or is this possible in VB/COM?

Hi there,

Sorry I can't offer a solution to your problem--we have pretty much the same one. We need a reliable way to determine when a COM dll is called by someone outside of ASP context. In our case, we don't care where that is from, we just need to know it is outside of ASP.

One thought was to make a call to GetObjectContext when the DLL object is instantiated, but you can't safely obtain context from within Class_Initialize (see the remarks at After that we had hoped to see if something like objContext("Application") existed, and would base our decision on that, but well...you can't get there without that call to GetObjectContext in the first place!

Anyone know of a way to get some kind of "non-ASP context information" from within a COM dll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back