Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM+ Events on WIN98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigViking

Programmer
Feb 15, 2003
ZA
I need to know if it is possible to get COM+ events to work on WIN98SE.

I have developed a system where a central COM+ Server app used RPC to activate COM+ events on remote PCs. But I do not know of any way to get these events to run on WIN98.

I have tried exporting the server events, and after looking in the registry, I find that under the AppID RunAs is marked as EventSystem. Does this mean anything on a WIN98 machine.

To complicate issues the client apps on these remote machines subscibe to transient subscriptions for these events. Is there any way of getting the COMAdmin.DLL to run on a WIN98 machine.

The Big Viking

I gave up trying. I now use RPC to call a class whose methods raise events of the exact same names as the COM+ event methods.

Instead of subscribing to transient events, I use the old faithfull WithEvents.

At first it meant I would mean I would have to have 2 seperate sets of client software that used these events. One to work on W2000, XP and the other to work on WIN98, ME.

But to my utter relief I found that the standard with events works quite a bit quicker that the COM+ events so I have thrown them out of the Window.

I am now considering as to whether I should get rid of them on the server app. The Big Viking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back