Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
ok, so i'm making a brochure in adobe 6.5 plus.. now, this is how it's set up.. there's actually 5 columns (i copy and paste from excel) first column, is the upc code.. second column is description, 3rd column is how many items come in a pack, 4th is the price per pack, and 5th is price per unit.. ok, so i know that stuff really isn't too important, but i like a lot of info when i try and help someone out..

ok.. so what i want to do is, make only 1 real column (if that's what you want to call it) that cuts off the text totally. so it could look something like this.

UPC DESCRIPTION PACK PRICE UNIT
123 128 megs of ram.....................12 660 55

i hope that comes out ok for you.. but after the items description, i want to put a bunch of ............ so that the items line up, and it makes it easy to read across the page.. like a table of contents.. but when i put columns into the program.. it doesn't really do anything, except show me columns, and if i play around.. it will goto the next line.. when i don't want it to go to the next line.. i just want it to get cut off.. you see. like in excell..

whatever.. i hope i did my best to explain it.. let me know of any questions.. and thanks in advance.

one last thing.. see how the periods go all the way to the pack.. well, i want to make sure that the periods are *EVEN* and not a little ahead or below each other.

You don't have to work with columns, what you can do is working with the indents and tabs

You just make a pagemakerfile with one column, then you set the tabs between your different pack, prices and other head items.

This aligns your data as if it was setup in columns.

To put dots between the different tab columns you use the leader function in the same Indents and tabs menu

Just try out some specific Leaders or create your own. By applying the tabs and leaders you can see what the result will be.

Hope this is helpfull.

Grillhouse

As far as the periods go, you don't type them, you set them as "leading" under the tabs section. Set the tab position for the item that will come after the tabs and select "leading" then select the periods or design your own--I used to do " dot, space, dot" and then the dots are not so close together--this way they will be all perfectly lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back