Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

columns and data...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
May 8, 2000
US
I have a field USA, and 4 other North-east, south-east, north east and south east. I have to delete these 4 fields . they have data.  I want to have the same info when I query the USA. so i WILL HaVE IN MY TBLE ONLY THE USA and not the regions. How can I do? Thanks

What RDBMS are you using?&nbsp;&nbsp;If it's Oracle 8i, you can drop the unwanted columns.<br>Otherwise, you might want to try<br><br>Step 1 - <br>CREATE TABLE temp_mytable AS<br>SELECT all_columns_except_the_ones_you_do_not_want<br>FROM my_table;<br><br>Step 2 -<br>DROP TABLE my_table;<br><br>Step 3 -<br>RENAME temp_mytable TO my_table;<br><br>

giving complementary info:<br>I am using oracle 7 and I have 15 other fields in the same table. can i proceed with your answer. what about the data contained in the fields North-east, north-west, south_west and south_east.&nbsp;&nbsp;i will lose them, right if I wont select the fields? I want to query the usa field and get the info in the north-east, south-east, north_west and south-west.<br>thanks again

for your create table, use the following select: <br>select col1,col2,north-east,col5,col6<br>from anytable<br>where north-east is not null<br>union<br>select col1,col2,north-WEST,col5,col6<br>from anytable<br>where north-WEST is not null<br>union......<br><br>You could modify the where clause further.....<br>you get the picture?<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back