Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column repeating on same page (like in Excel) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLHacker

MIS
Aug 10, 2006
US
I'm using SSRS 2005, and I have a report that is using a table with only 2 columns. The possibility of many rows is very high, and the user wants the two columns 3 times on the same page (there is enough room). The table column width (both columns) is 2", so it would easily work...if I could figure out how to get it to work.

Another way to put it, is when the results get to the bottom of the page (8.5 X 11, Portrait) instead of going to the next page, it should go to the top of the second column.

I've already tried to change the Body property to have 3 column 2" wide, but you can't put a table in a column (or a List either...)

Anyone had success with this type of thing?

Hi if you have created the report properly just run and refresh the data and all should work just fine

there is no other code to write its one of the basic functions of RS

-Mo

MisterMo,

Could you elaborate slightly?

I have created over 100 RS reports, and none of them automatically "wrap" to the next column on the same page.

because reports are displayed on a browser you might lose some of the pagination feature when viewing the report.

The default view in Visual Studio when you're designing reports is also browser like.

however another option you have is to see the reports in print view and from there (depending on what you have set up)you will/might see a whole different thing

I always check that my reports fit the page that I want them to fit when they are printed.

another way to see if things are working properly is to export to PDF and see the report from there.

that is the layout that ultimately goes to the printer

Am I making any sense?

-Mo

MisterMo,

I have the layout already set to 8.5 by 11 (standard, portrait page size) in the layout properties, with .25 margins all around (giving me 8 by 10.5 of usable space). It doesn't matter where I'm viewing the results--that's not what I'm after. I want to know if there is a way to control the data fill so that it goes to the top of the same page (2 inches to the right) instead of going to the next page. For example, let's say that 40 rows fit on page 1. What happens now is row 41 appears on page 2--that is not what I want. I want row 41 to appear in the same position (albeit, 2 inches to the right) as row 1. Also, at the end of the 2nd space, I still don't want it to go to page 2--I want row 81 to be in the third space ("column area"?) on page 1. The first row that should appear on page 2 is row 121.

Does that help clarify my question?

As I said before if you have set the report properties right it will do exactly what you want.

Body Properties:
Columns = 2 0r 3 depending on how much space you have ColumnSpacing = .5 space between columns

if this is right you will see your table on one column and the other column/s will be read only (that's OK) they will inherit the property from the main column almost like label in crystal reports you only need to set one.

All the work or setting you do on the main column, will be reflected on the others and if you set things properly as I said, you should get the desired results.

Bear in mind what I said on my previous post the preview might be deceiving due to browser limitations but the printing and exporting should work just fine.

I have created a report that gives me the list of reports on my system.I have set just the report name and have it displyed on 3 columns on the report boby (just using one table with one column) I have also tried to add an extra column to the table so that I can see the report name and the id and because it was too big I have set only 2 (two) columns on the body and all works just fine.

I can send you the RDL if you want.

-Mo

Yes, if you could send a sample .rdl, that would be fantastic!

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I followed exactly what you describe, and it still goes to page 2 instead of the next column space on page 1. (UG!!)

Thanks for you help!

Finally--it was the bloody printer!! (UG) When I switched to a printer made after 1985, it worked perfectly.

Thank you very much MisterMo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back