Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column displays blank or NULL as data after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

furei1976

Programmer
Aug 1, 2011
US
Hi Everyone,

I need your expertise again. :)

Here is the problem, Column displays blank or NULL as data after update. the raw data comes from a fixed width formatted text file. the current code for this by the previous programmer is invoking the trim function below:
ls_col054 = trim(mid(ls_filestr,999,11)) //Salesman ID

This works okay most of the time in all columns. I was asked to investigate the cause of the null data, because it actually has data. I found out that the data on the text contains a different character, it shows up as a space or blank when you look at it normally. But when you hit the backspace key, it will backspace 2 times. So I am thinking it might be a special character a normal text editor does not see or even Powerbuilder. I have used Ultra Edit, this has a feature to convert the current text file to switch to HEX mode. After toggling to HEX mode it showed up the data with a "." at the beginning.

Are there any built-in PB function that can fix this and have Powerbuilder save the data as it should be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

furei

I found an MS SQL function that might fix the problem ( but I don't know how to invoke a user-defined MS SQL function in PB. I tested the function in MS Query Analyzer, it works but this needs to be tested while uploading the test files. Can someone also teach me on how to call a user-defined MS SQL function?

thanks,
furei

If your SQL function is called uf_whatever you can call it in a normal sql statement similar to:

Code:
SELECT part_no, part_code, uf_whatever(part_text) as part_desc FROM part_master where ....

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

thanks Matt, for the reply.
I tried that before:
SELECT dbo.trimmer :)ls_trim) from dbo.trimmer INTO :ls_col054 USING SQLCA;

it gave me a syntax error.

Creating embedded SQL for just a db function call can be problematic. To get this recognized by PB you need to select from an actual table in the database and limit the results to a single row.

You may be better off parsing your string in PB and skipping the character which gives you the problem (something like IF AscA (badchar) = 007 THEN...)

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

thanks, Matt. I have tried it as "IF AscA (badchar) = 009..." but still no go. that is what Ultra Edit displayed in Hex Mode of the text file, it seems to be a horizontal tab in a fixed width formatted text file. It seems like PB does not read the rest of the data after that horizontal tab, all are blank even I change the original position of "mid(ls_filestr,999,11)".

PB reads it as null. it returns 0 when I did AscA (badchar). unless you modify the text file before upload manually to get rid of that horizontal tab non-printing character. If manually removed, it will finally display the rest of the data. this is really weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back