Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

column by date 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlp

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
My table includes "Amount" and "Month" fields (1,2,3, etc). I want the amounts to appear in columns by month. Have tried to create columns for Amount with criteria of Month = 1, Month = 2, but it doesn't work. Have tried (SELECT) statements but can't seem to put together correct syntax. Suggestions on how to build this Query? Thanks. RLP

Try:

Code:
SELECT Amount, 
   Month, 
   iif(Month=1,Amount,0) AS Month01, 
   iif(Month=2,Amount,0) AS Month02, 
   iif(Month=3,Amount,0) AS Month03, 
   iif(Month=4,Amount,0) AS Month04, 
   iif(Month=5,Amount,0) AS Month05, 
   iif(Month=6,Amount,0) AS Month06, 
   iif(Month=7,Amount,0) AS Month07, 
   iif(Month=8,Amount,0) AS Month08, 
   iif(Month=9,Amount,0) AS Month09, 
   iif(Month=10,Amount,0) AS Month10, 
   iif(Month=11,Amount,0) AS Month11, 
   iif(Month=12,Amount,0) AS Month12 
FROM YourTableName;

I don't know what other fields are in your table, but if you want to subtotal by month on something like a Transaction Type, then modify my earlier query by adding a GROUP BY clause (easiest to do this in the query design environment).

Thanks, I will give this a try. I'm a novice so will ask for some clarification: Month01, Month02, etc are field names for the monthly columns? Your suggested criteria would go into each of those columns? Why does the "if" statement use "iif"?

Yes, the column names would be Month01 etc. If you want to do this in the design environment, make the Field say:
Code:
Month01: iif(Month=1,Amount,0)
and similar for the rest.

To use if logic in a function like this, you use iif(test,true,false), but within VB code, you use the IF THEN ELSE ENDIF format. Same general idea, but different uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back