Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

colours probs between illu and photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladykira

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
GB
hi guys, got a problem with a 2 colour (pantone) logo that has been created in illustrator. I need to set it up so people can down load it from the web and use it. prob is in photoshop the colours get distorted + it automaticly creates a bitmap which is unscalable. It is saved as an eps that works fine in illustrator and freehand but photoshop is being an arse. can anyone help. also can i create an eps that works cross platform (i am a mac user) or do i need to create two files.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi

The distortion between PH and illustrator has probably something to do with the embedded colour progile. If you leave the eps unchanged when opening it in Photoshop the colours will be the same.
You can always check the colour settings and if they give in PH the same values as in Illustrator it has probably something to do with the settings of your monitor. If the % are the same even if you see it different on your screen, the conversion is ok.

.:°
grillhouse

thankyou grillhouse. the colours do have the same values in phs and illu but look completly different. I take it that as they are the same values they will print the same. The only problem i am left with now is the scaling issue and cross platform thingy. any ideas for those!

Hi,

Cross platform it is better to use a different exporting method than eps.
PDF should be OK. If you save as PDf in Illustrator se that the compression of images and line art is not too low. For example a compression to 300 dpi is OK for all printing needs.
Pdf can be opened in PH 6, Illustrator, Acrobat, and placed in Pagemaker, Quark and so on.
So this should be the best method.

..:)
grillhouse

Lady: a logo should be created in well defined colors
by HKS, Pantone (RGB or CMYK) or pure CMYK values.
It´s essential, that the CMYK values are NOT generated
by a press profile from RGB. These CMYK values refer directly
to a catalogue (a swatch book, in English ?).
Save as EPS works well and can include clipping paths.
Imported in PM, the EPS has to be rotated by 0.01°, otherwise
the background is not shown transparent (a bug).
For the Web, the logo can be designed in a considerable large
size by Export to GIF89a, which supports transparency as well,
by altogether up to 256 colors (not interlaced, not dithered).
In PhS5 all this is simple, but in PhS6 the whole Color Management
is rather complex and should be switched OFF.
Hope this helps to some extent. --Gernot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back