Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Colors lost during PDF export 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lungdaddio

Technical User
Jun 11, 2002
US
I am trying to use Pagemaker 6.5 and Distiller 3.0 with Windows XP. Although the JPEG's look fine in Pagemaker, color is lost during the PDF exportation. Is this a compatability problem with XP?

PM6.5 is not certified for XP or W2K. 7.0 is. But many people have no problems at all running 6.5 on XP.

This doc by Adobe gives tips on using XP with PM:

This link is a FAQ for W2K and PM6.5 & 7.0, but also applies for XP in many cases.

That said... I think the real problem is the use of JPGs.
I recommend only using TIFs or EPS graphics with PM, and especially if you are creating PDFs. Be sure the image you have placed in your PM document is a TIF of adequate resolution.

I am an advocate of not using the File>Export to PDF feature, but rather Print to File, creating a .ps file and then opening Distiller and then creating the PDF after verifying all job options. Some in this forum disagree, but I have seen way too many problems 'fixed' with this simple solution.

Be sure, when you "print" your PostScript file, that you have set the "Send TIF/Images" option to Normal and NOT to Optimized.

Prior to distilling the .ps file, go to Distiller's Job Options and click the Compression tab. Deselect all image compression and downsampling options. You can leave "Compress text and line art" checked as this uses a lossless compression scheme.

hope this helps When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I've found that TIFF files lose their color, also. Try placing only EPS files. If you need to keep the files as TIFFs, perhaps create a separate document with only EPS files, or relink to the Tiffs before sending the final file out.

EPS files are for vector based graphics, not raster images.

Also, you have to understand that there is a difference between what you will see on screen vs. what you will see on print-out. PM doesn't handle colors the same as say Photoshop, which is a real pain in th @$$. Make sure that you are using CMS on PM and that you have your monitor set up properly if color matching is critical. If color is extremely critical, then use grayscale images and apply Pantone spots, then you know it will come out properly.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I use Photoshop EPS files for most of my 4C photo work (I'm on Mac platform), mostly because clipping paths are enabled. I use vector EPS files (from Freehand), mostly for logo designs, maps and illustration purposes.
Clipped photo EPS files lose their color in translation from .ps file to .pdf file - but maybe that's because I'm using an older version of Distiller.

I use Photoshop EPS files for most of my 4C photo work (I''m on Mac platform), mostly because clipping paths are enabled. I use vector EPS files (from Freehand), mostly for logo designs, maps and illustration purposes. Clipped photo EPS files lose their color in translation from .ps file to .pdf file - but maybe that''s because I''m using an older version of Distiller.', 'I use Photoshop EPS files for most of my 4C photo work (I''m on Mac platform), mostly because clipping paths are enabled. I use vector EPS files (from Freehand), mostly for logo designs, maps and illustration purposes.
Clipped photo EPS files lose their color in translation from .ps file to .pdf file - but maybe that''s because I''m using an older version of Distiller.

I use Photoshop EPS files for most of my 4C photo work (I''m on Mac platform), mostly because clipping paths are enabled. I use vector EPS files (from Freehand 9.0), mostly for logo designs, maps and illustration purposes (they retain their color fine). Clipped photo EPS files lose their color in translation from .ps file to .pdf file - but maybe that''s because I'm using an older version of Distiller.

I use Photoshop EPS files for most of my 4C photo work (I'm on Mac platform), mostly because clipping paths are enabled. I use vector EPS files (from Freehand 9.0), mostly for logo designs, maps and illustration purposes (they retain their color fine). Clipped photo EPS files lose their color in translation from .ps file to .pdf file - but maybe that''s because I'm using an older version of Distiller.

I use Photoshop EPS files for most of my 4C photo work (I'm on Mac platform), mostly because clipping paths are enabled. I use vector EPS files (from Freehand 9.0), mostly for logo designs, maps and illustration purposes (they retain their color fine). Clipped photo EPS files lose their color in translation from .ps file to .pdf file - but maybe that's because I'm using an older version of Distiller.

Sorry about those last 4. My computer was being squirrely and giving me error messages. I didn't think they replies were going thru.
`8-(

Cindy wrote:

>but maybe that's because I'm using an older version of Distiller.

Definately get the latest version of Acrobat Distiller if you can afford it, it could likely be the cause. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back