Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COLOR NOT THE SAME AFTER PRINTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechel

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
US
I'm working on a pc with photoshop 7. I recently made a beautiful layout for a poster - full color - and gave it in to print out professionally, but it turned out to be totally different from what I saw on my screen.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank You

You don't really give us a lot to go on there.

this FAQ is helpful if you want to ask questions that will get you answers that are helpful.

There are hundreds of variables that would have to do with the output, including whether you calibrated your monitor (Adobe Gamma comes with photoshop, so there is NO EXCUSE not to at least take that step), whether you saved the images with a proper colorspace, whether you saved them as RGB vs CMYK, and what sort of device the printer used to print.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Imagine that your monitor is too bright and too blue. When you adjust the file so that it looks right, it would really be too yellow and too dark, because that's what it took to get it to look right on the too blue/bright screen.

Then if your printer prints the file accurately, and it looks so yellow and too dark. viol8ion is right - your printer may be printing what you're giving them correctly. But because you are not calibrated, you have no way to see that what you're giving them is a bad file.

You can not do pre-press work on an uncalibrated monitor visually. (It's possible to do it numerically on even a B&W monitor if you understand the CMYK values, but that's another skill entirely, and requires an entire book to explain. It's the monitor, trust me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back