Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

extempore

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
US
Hi,
I am newbie to Java who had been given this task of debugging a bug. I would really appreaicte if you can help me in this. I have to find out why exportAssets.length is zero in the final method call down below(last method). Since it had a value before the method was called. Can someone tell me y? I have also put in my comments to tell you the return values I am getting after each call.Thanks

public void updateExportAssets(String uoiId, String mediaTypeName, ExportAsset[] newExportAssets) {
ExportAssetDao dao = new ExportAssetDao();
ExportAsset[] oldExportAssets = dao.getSelectedExportAssets(uoiId, mediaTypeName);
Set oldSet = new HashSet();
oldSet.addAll(Arrays.asList(oldExportAssets));
Set newSet = new HashSet();
newSet.addAll(Arrays.asList(newExportAssets));
Collection addedItems = getChangedItems(oldSet, newSet);
log.error("addedItems:" + addedItems);
-- This returns addedItems:[]

Collection deletedItems = getChangedItems(newSet, oldSet);
log.error("deletedItems:" + deletedItems);
-- This returns deletedItems:[]

log.error("OLD EXPORT ASSETS LENGTH:" + oldExportAssets.length);
-- This returns OLD EXPORT ASSETS LENGTH:8

log.error("NEW EXPORT ASSETS LENGTH:" + newExportAssets.length);
-- This returns NEW EXPORT ASSETS LENGTH:8

dao.removeExportAssetLinks( (ExportAsset[]) deletedItems.toArray(new ExportAsset[deletedItems.size()]));

dao.addExportAssetLinks( (ExportAsset[]) addedItems.toArray(new ExportAsset[addedItems.size()]));
}

/**
* Returns a collection with all items in newCol not in oldCol.
*/
protected Collection getChangedItems(Collection oldCol, Collection newCol) {
Iterator it = newCol.iterator();
Object o = null;
Collection retval = new ArrayList();
while (it.hasNext()) {
o = it.next();
if (!oldCol.contains(o)) {
retval.add(o);
}
}
return retval;
}

}

public void removeExportAssetLinks(ExportAsset[] exportAssets) {
for (int i=0; i<exportAssets.length; i++)

-- HERE the exportAssets.length becomes 0 (ZERO) so the subsequent call below does not work

{
removeExportAssetLink(exportAssets);
}
}

As a general comment, when I'm having trouble with arguements using casting, I like to seperate the casted variable from the function call to better examine it.

If you have...

ExportAsset test[] = (ExportAsset[])
deletedItems.toArray(new ExportAsset[deletedItems.size()]);

dao.removeExportAssetLinks( test );

...and you add a breakpoint before the call to removeExportAssetLinks(), you can more easily examine test and its properties to track down what's going haywire.

your code
Code:

-- HERE the exportAssets.length becomes 0 (ZERO) so the subsequent call below does not work

{
        removeExportAssetLink(exportAssets);
    }

looks weird.

Are you sure you don't mean to do
Code:
        {
        removeExportAssetLink(exportAssets[i]);
    }

if the function removeExportAssetLink() wants (as I would think) a single ExportAsset instead of the entire array?
Most likely your array isn't zero length after all, but you're getting an exception trying to send an array into a function expecting a single object contained in that array?

If you want to send the whole array as an argument wont you delete the [] brackets from the method call. if you have brackets it means a single item is being sent down the pipe....! home that helps...
libaax

I didn't catch it before, but ExportAsset[] exportAssets should be ExportAsset exportAssets[].

jwenting:

I think the code posted was right, but the [ i ] gets changed by the TGML. I have had to put spaces in here!

This has been noted before so it's best to use a different letter or name than &quot;i&quot;.

[smile]

Folks,

thanks for you kinda consideration in helping me out with my issue. I was able to fix the problem by myself. Thanks again.

Extempore,

You have to put your code between [ code ] and [ /code ] (without the spaces) otherwhise [ i ] gets interpreted as &quot;display in italics&quot;.
When you do a &quot;Preview Post&quot; you can see this.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I was able to resolve the issue. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back