Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collecting Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam1

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Hello,

We are having a bit of a 'discussion' in our office...

Wht does COLLECT STATS actually do?

If I have a column (Col_1) on a table (Tab_1) - does the collect stats basically carry out:

Select
Count (*)
,Col_1
From
Tab_1
Group by 2;

Or does it do more complex things?

You can use "collect stats on Tab_1 COLUMN Col_1;
even if the column happens to be an INDEX... so...
is there a differnce in collecting stats on a column as opposed to an index?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.

Collect statistics gathers information about the data demography of a column, index, table, etc. It is being used by the parser to determine the optimal way to carry out a query. It means as well one has to recollect these statistics after major changes in the data demography of a table. If you collected statistics on a table with over a million rows, afterwards you empty the table completely without recollecting statistics, the parser will still think the table contains 1 million rows, and perhaps make wrong decision in the way it wants to carry out a query against this table.

Thanks for the reply,
I know why we do what we do and how it is used, I was just curious as to how it actually calculates these statistics.

It knows how many unque values are in a column, is it more complicated than that? What is the difference between an column and an index (in sats terms)

Thanks,

Liam1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back