Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collected File From Client is Missing .exe Files - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnvision

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
US
I have been given that task of managing the SMS server (2003). I have never worked with SMS in the past so there has been many trying monents. Here is my problem: When I run a report to find out how many machines have POWERPNT.EXE on their pc, I get the results back and I'm not sure how to trust it as we found out of 2 pc's that actually do have it on their pc but it's not showing in the report (or the File Details specific to that pc). I did also check to see when it was loaded on the pc and it seems to be over 2 years ago it was loaded.
Why do some files not show up to SMS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi,
There can be something wrong with your query or your software inventory configuration is not properly configured.
It's really hard to say what the problem is with so little info.

Cheers,
GSC

Hi GSC,

My Software Inventory Collection is set to run every 7 days. I am using a report within SMS. Following you will find the sql statement we used:

select SYS.Netbios_Name0, SF.FileName, SF.FileDescription, SF.FileVersion, SF.FileSize, SF.FileModifiedDate, SF.FilePath
From v_GS_SoftwareFile SF
join v_R_System SYS on SYS.ResourceID = SF.ResourceID
Where SF.FileName LIKE "OUTLOOK.EXE"
OR SF.FileName LIKE "POWERPNT.EXE"
OR SF.FileName LIKE "WINWORD.EXE"
OR SF.FileName LIKE "EXCEL.EXE"
OR SF.FileName LIKE "MSACCESS.EXE"
ORDER BY SYS.Netbios_Name0

If there is any additional info you need to help me narrow this down - feel free to ask.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi mnvision,

Did you check the Systems Mgmt Props in control panel? Check the status of your hard and software inventory agents. If they show installed.

If these are installed check your event viewer > Application logs and examine the SMS Client source.

If this is SMS 2003 check the InventoryAgent.log on the client computer.

If this is SMS 2.0 examine the Insinv32.log and CCim32 and the Sinv32.log.

These should have information to help you find the problem.

Also, be sure you enabled the SW inventory on the site server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back