Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

collaborative software

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingGeek

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
US
Greetings,

I know this has been asked before, but I'm hoping to get into more specifics.

I'm looking for software that will allow project information sharing both internally and with clients, preferably web-based for convenience.

My primary goals are document sharing, contact list and keeping an updated project plan where all can see/edit as necessary/allowed. I would like something like an "internal" page for miscellaneous in house stuff, but also something clients can go to (via password) to view specifics about their projects. Also perhaps a generic documentation area.

I am just now installing SharePoint to give it a try - read on this forum it is good, but not any specifics. If you use it and like it, what do you use/like? If you recommend another tool, that would be great too. We are a software shop and could write something, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers!
Sheri

We tested out Microsoft Project Server about 6 months ago...internally it looked like a great tool...and since its webbased, there *may* be some way of sharing project data with your clients.

It all depends on what level of data they need to see I guess...but maybe something worth a look.

D'Arcy

Dancing Geek, I have similar questions and wondering what size shop you are? How is the SharePoint working for you? What was cost like in the end?

Thanks!

Hey planetant,

I was with a small company - about 25 people. I didn't love SharePoint or anything else I played with, but honestly didn't put a lot of effort into them - they seemed too time-consuming for what I was trying to achieve.

And I'm now out of the software industry entirely (!), so don't have a clue of what else is new.

But good luck to you!
~geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back